Interdisciplinary Training

Dual Mentor Fellowships

Fellowships from either an NIH Kirschstein-NRSA training grant or the FHCRC exist for postdoctoral and predoctoral trainees who wish to be involved with interdisciplinary research. The purpose of this program is to provide funds for research projects that are truly interdisciplinary in nature. The applicant must identify two mentors from different fields of research who will contribute meaningfully to the training program.  The Interdisciplinary Training Grant specifically requires that the project be related to cancer or HIV.  If you are applying for an Interdisciplinary Training Grant position, please be sure to specify how your project is relevant to these areas of research.

NIH Training Grant and FHCRC Fellowships

NIH Interdisciplinary Training Grant Fellowship

The trainee must be a U.S. citizen, non-citizen national (persons born in possessions of the United States, i.e., American Samoa), or have permanent resident status. NIH training grant funding guidelines stipulate that no individual trainee may receive more than 5 years of aggregate Kirschstein-NRSA support at the predoctoral level and 3 years of aggregate Kirschstein-NRSA support at the postdoctoral level, including any combination of support from Kirschstein-NRSA institutional research training grants and individual fellowships. Therefore, trainees who have already received this level of NIH funding are not eligible to apply for the training grant fellowships. Support from NIH research project grants awarded to faculty do not count towards the 3 year eligibility rule.

Note that this training grant is managed through the University of Washington, so your paycheck and benefits will be UW-based. The NIH training grant pays approximately 60% of predoctoral tuition. The remaining 40% must come from a non-federal source, provided by the trainee's mentor.

Please be sure to check the appropriate box on your application if you are eligible to receive an NIH Training Grant slot (meaning you are a US citizen or permanent resident/green card holder).

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Underrepresented minorities and economically disadvantaged individuals are strongly encouraged to apply.

We are not currently accepting applications for the NIH training grant.  Please see below for the application for the Center-funded Dual Mentor fellowship.

Get the application form

For further information on the NIH-funded grant, contact:

Marci Burden
Training Grant Coordinator, or
Maxine Linial
Program Director

FHCRC Dual Mentor Fellowship

Non-NIH training program associated with the IDTG. Trainees must be based at FHCRC, but can have any residency (non-citizens can apply). Two 8-12 month fellowships are available for graduate students or 1st or 2nd year postdoctoral fellows. Both mentors should be at FHCRC, but the research can be in any area. Paycheck and benefits will come from FHCRC.

Now accepting applications for the Center fellowship.  Application deadline: August 11th, 5pm.

Get the application form

For further information on the Center-funded grant, contact:

Marci Burden
Training Grant Coordinator

Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is a world leader in research to prevent, detect and treat cancer and other life-threatening diseases.