Office of Scientific Career Development
Resources for International Scientists
Moving to Seattle from another country? Below is a compilation of resources for FHCRC International Scientists. Click on a link for more information.
Here are some resources for before you arrive and the first few weeks/months you are here:
Finding an apartment
The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is located on the shores of Lake Union very close to downtown. There are many good neighborhoods close by with apartments and houses for rent. Both furnished and unfurnished apartments are available. Neighborhoods that are close to the FHCRC and accessible by bus or walking include:
- Cascade Neighborhood to the south of FHCRC--walking distance, some restaurants but not a lot of shops and grocery stores
- Capitol Hill to the East of FHCRC--funky, alternative district, lots of things to do, lots of shops, restaurants and grocery stores
- Eastlake to the north of FHCRC--walking distance, close to Lake Union, many small restaurants and shops, limited grocery stores
- Queen Anne to the west of FHCRC--more upscale, housing on the South and West side is more accessible to the FHCRC. Many shops, restaurants and grocery stores on the top of Queen Anne.
- Fremont to the Northwest of FHCRC--popular district with many shops and restauants
- University District is about a 10 minute drive to the North. A shuttle runs between FHCRC and the University of Washington on Monday-Friday. Lots of housing, restaurants, shops and grocery stores.
http://seattle.craigslist.org/ is a free online classified ad service that lists many available apartments and houses for rent.
Note that most landlords require a downpayment of first and last month's rent, plus a damage deposit.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center is a world leader in research to prevent, detect
and treat cancer and other life-threatening diseases.